1. Is an Institutional membership transferable to new members of staff?
No, all new members must apply individually. This is because the application process has been developed as part of our quality assurance mechanisms.
2. My role has changed. What do I need to do?
Please check the eligibility criteria for membership to ensure that your new role fulfills our requirements. If your role has changed significantly, e.g. from adviser to mentor, you will be asked to complete a new application form. You will also be asked to complete an application form if we do not have one on file for you.
If you have any questions about eligibility, please contact [email protected]
3. If I join UMHAN through the Direct application route, can I then cancel my membership with the other professional body?
While you MUST apply through our direct route while still being a member of a DSA-QAG recognised professional body, you can terminate your membership with them after you've become a member of UMHAN. However, we'd like to stress on the fact that UMHAN membership is designed as an adjunct, not a replacement, and that we would encourage members to maintain membership of other professional associations.
4. If I take a career break, can my membership be suspended?
Unless you are on maternity/paternity or other carer's leave, or have ill health for less than 12 months, we can not suspend your membership. You will have to reapply under the criteria advertised at that point.
1. If I were to change my supervisor how might this impact my renewal for membership?
If you are in a position where you must change supervisor, please ensure your CPD and supervision logs are signed off by the person supervising you at the time in question in order to have a clear record of your adherence to UMHAN's requirements. Please inform UMHAN of any proposed change in supervisor prior to the change.
2. What do you mean by “peer supervision”?
A peer supervisor may meet in a group or one on one with a UMHAN member, and the UMHAN member may aid them as a peer in their own supervision. Peer supervision is reciprocal and both parties gain from the arrangement.
Please bear in mind when conducting peer supervision that the peers in supervision meet our supervision requirements.
3. Does the supervisor have to be a specifically trained supervisor, who can supervise therapists, or can it be anyone who is a member of the DSA-QAG approved professional bodies?
Supervisors must be members of DSA QAG approved professional bodies but we do not have any specific requirements regarding their training.
1. Is it necessary for this signatory on the CPD log to be the mentor’s clinical supervisor, or is it adequate for the CPD log to be signed by the service manager?
All CPD logs must be signed by the mentor’s clinical supervisor.
1. I only work term-time. What do I need to do if I am randomly selected for audit?
If you only work term-time and are randomly selected for audit, please ask your clinical supervisor to send us a short signed and scanned letter explaining that you only work during term-time and do not see any students over the summer.