Our membership framework documents are intended to broadly encompass the skills, knowledge and attitudes required by mental health practitioners working in the education sector.
The Capability and Conduct Framework, alongside our Supervision and CPD guidance for practitioner members, aims to:
- Value the existing skills and professionalism of people working in education who provide practical support to people with mental health conditions.
- Identify specialist capabilities linked to the Higher Education setting.
- Help create work environments that foster best practice, including a framework for appraisal and performance review.
- Assist members in assessing needs in relation to continued professional development.
- Guide training consortia when reviewing and developing training.
All members agree to adhere to our Capability and Conduct Framework. Additionally, Accredited Practitioners (currently Mental Health Advisors and Mental Health Mentors) must also agree to comply with our supervision and CPD requirements, and are subject to audit.
Supervision and CPD requirements
Here is a brief summary of our requirements, for accredited members. It is your responsibility to make sure you read the full guide. This can be downloaded below. Template forms for recording can be found on the Resources tab of this website.
- For full-time workers we recommend 30hrs of CPD per year, across multiple different types of activities (i.e. training, giving lectures, speaking at UMHAN meetings). This amount is pro-rata for part time employees.
- If you work full-time AND during the summer (35 hours or more per week) we require a minimum of 1.5 hours recorded group or individual supervision per month, totalling 18 hours per annum.
- If you work part-time AND during the summer (less than 35 hours per week) we require a minimum of 1 hour recorded group or individual supervision per month, totalling 12 hours per annum.
- If you only work term-time you will not have to record any supervision during the summer months (9 hours of supervision in total per annum).
All Accredited Practitioners (currently Mental Health Advisors and Mental Health Mentors) are subject to audit after 1 year's membership. This is a quality assurance measure, and focuses on our Supervision and CPD requirements. Our audit takes place annually, with 10% of each membership type subject to audit.
The process is designed to be transparent and supportive, and the outcomes are detailed in our Audit Guidelines document.