This is an audited membership type, subject to UMHAN's supervision and CPD requirements. It is suitable for Mental Health Advisers, Specialist Mental Health Mentors and some other staff working directly with students with mental health conditions in Higher Education. It is also open to managers who still undertake casework with students with mental health conditions. Please see our page on language and terminology to understand what we mean by students with "mental health conditions".
Accredited Practitioners are listed on our Public Register and are eligible to provide Specialist Mental Health Mentoring, funded by Disabled Students' Allowances.
This membership type is not designed for more therapeutic roles, or those involved mainly with the wellbeing of the general student population. Please see our Associate Membership for these roles.
Criteria and Requirements
- Assess and respond to the support needs of university students with mental health conditions to facilitate the management of their mental health and academic studies
- Provide practical individual and/or group support to students with mental health difficulties to help them to manage their mental health and academic studies
- Refer and signpost to university-based and external support services and liaise with specialist services where required
- Assess risk and understand paths for appropriate escalation
- Promote equality, inclusion and the rights of those with mental health conditions studying in Higher Education
- Hold a professional qualification (such as social work, nursing, occupational therapy etc) or postgraduate qualification related to mental health
- Deliver staff training and/or consultation on issues relating to support for students with mental health difficulties
- Promote student mental health through campaigns and initiatives
- Research and implement strategies and systems, including reasonable adjustments, to facilitate the inclusion of students with mental health difficulties into the University
- Planning and implementation of risk management processes.
New mentor memberships
At the moment we are not accepting mentor membership applications unless you're already a member of one of the professional bodies listed below. If that's the case you can apply for the Accredited Practitioner membership through our application link.
The qualifications are set by the Department of Education.
- Association of Child Psychotherapists (ACP) - Full member.
- The British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP) - Accredited membership.
- The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) - Registered Member MBACP or MBCAP (Accred.)
- British Psychoanalytic Council (BPC) - Under a member institution - Practitioners become registrants of the BPC through their membership of one of their member institutions. They do not have a category for individual membership.
- British Psychological Society (BPS) - Chartered Member (CPsychol)/IAPT register/ Graduate Member (MBPsS) AND a PG qualification in Psychology or Mental Health.
- Counselling & Psychotherapy in Scotland (COSCA) – Accredited (Other UK Professional body)
- Counsellor/Psychotherapist Member of COSCA This category of membership requires you to be currently accredited with another recognised UK professional body for counselling and psychotherapy
- Federation of Drug and Alcohol Practitioners (FDAP) - National Counsellor Accreditation Certificate (NCAC)
- General Medical Council (GMC) - Psychiatry – Full member or above.
- Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) - Education and training programmes approved as a route to registration - Arts Therapist/ Occupational Therapist/ Practitioner Psychologist/ Social Worker in England
- Irish Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (IACP) - Accredited member
- National Counselling Society (NCS) - Accredited Registrants (MNCS Accred), Accredited Professional Registrant (MNCS Prof Accred), Senior Accredited Registrant status (MNCS Snr Accred), NCS Fellowship (FNCS).
- Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) - Mental Health Nurse/ Community Mental Health Nurse / Psychiatric Nurse
- Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC)
- Social Care Wales (SCW)
- Northern Ireland Social Care Council (NISCC)
- UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) - Full clinical individual member
- Association of Christian Counsellors (UK) - Accredited Counsellor
N.B. There is no current accreditation route for those wanting to become a specialist mentor without the professional registration listed above.