How can I tell the university?

On your application form

If you are applying to university you're encouraged to make a formal disclosure under the "Disability/Special Needs" section on your UCAS or post-graduate application form by selecting "mental health condition" (may be a tick box on some forms). UCAS has some useful information for students with physical or mental health conditions

Some people decide they want to talk about their mental health in their personal statement - this can be an empowering way to talk about how you have already overcome barriers to study, or you may think it's important to explain why you want to study a particular course. 

This is not the right place to discuss your support needs (e.g. if you are likely to need exam accommodations, or think you might need some additional support) - you'll normally be contacted separately to ask about these if you have indicated you have a mental health condition on your application form.

  • Information shared about your mental health condition in your personal statement will not be read by support services staff. This is likely to only be read by admissions staff and although saved, will not be recorded on your notes.

Sharing information when you are already at uni

Different universities have different processes, but you should normally register with the Student Services team (see our page for more info about the different support available). Many will have some kind of registration form, or you may be able to speak to someone at a drop-in session. You can choose to tell your tutor, or other member of staff in the first instance, but specialist support, and exam accommodations normally need you to register with a separate team. 

University Mental Health Advisers Network (UMHAN). c/o The Moseley Exchange, 149-153 Alcester Road, Moseley, Birmingham B13 8JP Tel: 07510 734544 Registered charity number: 1155038. We use cookies to improve your experience using this website.
Log in | Powered by White Fuse