What is a Mental Health Adviser?

The provision of mental health and wellbeing services tends to vary for each University but usually includes Student Support/Welfare services which are staffed by mental health professionals. This may include Mental Health Advisers, Disability Advisers, Mental Health Mentors, Wellbeing Advisers and Counsellors.

The role of a Mental Health Adviser is to support students who may be experiencing emotional or psychological distress or personal difficulties. Whilst the job title and remit of their role may differ across each University, typically, a Mental Health Adviser will be able to co-ordinate support for students with mental health difficulties and act as a point of contact for the duration of their studies.

How Can they Support Me?

Mental Health Advisers may work alongside the disability services or counselling services, but it is not their role to be a counsellor. A Mental Health Adviser will be able to support and encourage you to consider your rights and think about any additional resources which may help you to access education. 

This may include, for example, adjustments in the learning and teaching environment, and formal academic assessments so that the specific effects of your difficulties can be taken into account. For some, this may involve applying for Disabled Students’ Allowances to facilitate access to education, notably through the provision of additional resources such as education- and mental health-specific support. Each case will be viewed independently and will vary according to the students’ needs.

As well as encouraging you to think about adjustments and resources, a Mental Health Adviser may be able to support you by providing interventions, offering advice and guidance, and signposting/referring to therapeutic and medical services when appropriate. 

How do I find about my University Support Services?

To find out about the mental health and wellbeing services provided by your University, UMHAN advise you to look on the specific University website. You can also find out if your University has a UMHAN-represented Mental Health Adviser by consulting our list of public members. It is also important to remember that there is often a variety of support available to you as a student. Among others, this could include university support services, student led groups and listening services, or your GP. You may find that some services or options are not appropriate for you and your needs but a different form of support may work well for you. You can find out more about the support available to you by reading our blog about available support, looking on your university website, or speaking to the support service at your university.

Become a Member

Mental Health Advisers are encouraged to join the University Mental Health Advisers Network so that they may share best practice with other specialist support staff at various institutions and participate in peer support and development. Becoming part of the UMHAN network allows individual members to have their say in the wider development of services and become involved in creating guidance and policies for institutions and mental health services.


Terminating Membership

Membership terminates when the person does not renew. Please let us know if you'd like us to retain your contact details or not at [email protected]

University Mental Health Advisers Network (UMHAN). c/o Impact Hub, Walker Building, 58 Oxford Street, Birmingham, B5 5NR. Tel: 07510 734544 Registered charity number: 1155038. We use cookies to improve your experience using this website.
Log in | Powered by White Fuse