Following changes to Disabled Students' Allowance, Specialist Mentors (Mental Health) are now required to undergo quality assurance through the Disabled Students' Allowance Quality Assurance Group.
As part of this quality assurance, they are required to be a member of a DSA-QAG approved professional body. UMHAN is one of these professional bodies, and is now accepting applications from mentors.
Who can apply for membership?
If you're already a member of one of the professional bodies listed below you can apply for the specialist mentor membership through our direct application pack.
1. Association of Child Psychotherapists
2. BABCP accreditation
3. BACP individual or MBACP
4. British Psychoanalytic Council – under a member institution
5. British Psychological Society Chartered Member (CPsychol)/IAPT register/ Graduate Member (MBPsS) AND also PG qualification in Psychology or Mental Health
6. COSCA accredited member
7. FDAP (NCAC)
8. General Medical Council (GMC) – Psychiatry
9. Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) (Arts Therapist/ Occupational Therapist/ Practitioner Psychologist/ Social worker in England)
10. IACP accredited member
11. National Counselling Society (Senior Accredited Member or above)
12. Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) – Mental Health Nurse/ community Mental Health nurse / Psychiatric Nurse
13. Social worker body for Scotland SSSC/ Wales CCWales/ NI (NISCC) 14. UKCP full clinical individual member
Requirements of Members
Membership of UMHAN requires a commitment to ongoing CPD and adherence to a code of practice. All memberships are up for renewal on December 31st of the year in question. An annual membership fee of £90 plus £20 administration fee is payable on a pro rata basis. Specialist Mentors must renew their membership of UMHAN annually to continue to be registered with DSA QAG to provide this support.
UMHAN membership for new applicants at the beginning of the membership year will cost £110, comprising £90 membership fee and £20 administration fee, to be paid in one installment.
UMHAN membership follows the calendar year. All memberships expire on 31 December of the year of joining. We offer quarterly reductions in membership cost to take account of this. You can see our complete payment structure here.