Following changes to Disabled Students' Allowance, Specialist Mentors (Mental Health) are now required to undergo quality assurance through the Disabled Students' Allowance Quality Assurance Group.
As part of this quality assurance, they are required to be a member of a DSA-QAG approved professional body. UMHAN is one of these professional bodies.
Who can apply for membership?
At the moment we are not accepting mentor membership applications unless you're already a member of one of the professional bodies listed below. If that's the case you can apply for the specialist mentor membership through our application pack below.
1. Association of Child Psychotherapists
2. BABCP accreditation
3. BACP individual or MBACP
4. British Psychoanalytic Council – under a member institution
5. British Psychological Society Chartered Member (CPsychol)/IAPT register/ Graduate Member (MBPsS) AND also PG qualification in Psychology or Mental Health
6. COSCA accredited member
7. FDAP (NCAC)
8. General Medical Council (GMC) – Psychiatry
9. Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) (Arts Therapist/ Occupational Therapist/ Practitioner Psychologist/ Social worker in England)
10. IACP accredited member
11. National Counselling Society (Senior Accredited Member or above)
12. Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) – Mental Health Nurse/ community Mental Health nurse / Psychiatric Nurse
13. Social worker body for Scotland SSSC/ Wales CCWales/ NI (NISCC) 14. UKCP full clinical individual member
N.B. There is no current accreditation route for those wanting to become a specialist mentor without the professional registration listed above.
Why become a member of UMHAN?
We are the only membership organisation that represents Specialist Mentors and mental health professionals in Higher Education. With 400 members in over 100 institutions, we are well placed to understand and advocate for our members. We offer networking and training opportunities.
Requirements of Members
Membership of UMHAN requires a commitment to ongoing CPD and adherence to a code of practice. Specialist Mentors must renew their membership of UMHAN annually to continue to be registered with DSA QAG to provide this support.
UMHAN membership for new applicants at the beginning of the membership year will cost £110, comprising £90 membership fee and £20 administration fee, to be paid in one installment.