About the role requirements
Please see our webpage Specialist Mentors for details of what the role entails.
Following changes to Disabled Students' Allowances, Specialist Mentors (Mental Health) are now required to undergo quality assurance as defined by the Department of Education.
Who can apply for membership?
At the moment we are not accepting mentor membership applications unless you're already a member of one of the professional bodies listed below. If that's the case you can apply for membership through our application pack below.
- Association of Child Psychotherapists (ACP) - Full member.
- The British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP) - Accredited membership.
- The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) - Registered Member MBACP or MBCAP (Accred.)
- British Psychoanalytic Council (BPC) - Under a member institution - Practitioners become registrants of the BPC through their membership of one of their member institutions. They do not have a category for individual membership.
- British Psychological Society (BPS) - Chartered Member (CPsychol)/IAPT register/ Graduate Member (MBPsS) AND a PG qualification in Psychology or Mental Health.
- Counselling & Psychotherapy in Scotland (COSCA) – Accredited (Other UK Professional body)
- Counsellor/Psychotherapist Member of COSCA This category of membership requires you to be currently accredited with another recognised UK professional body for counselling and psychotherapy
- Federation of Drug and Alcohol Practitioners (FDAP) - National Counsellor Accreditation Certificate (NCAC)
- General Medical Council (GMC) - Psychiatry – Full member or above.
- Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) - Education and training programmes approved as a route to registration - Arts Therapist/ Occupational Therapist/ Practitioner Psychologist/ Social Worker in England
- Irish Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (IACP) - Accredited member
- National Counselling Society (NCS)
- Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) - Mental Health Nurse/ Community Mental Health Nurse / Psychiatric Nurse
- Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC)
- Social Care Wales (SCW)
- Northern Ireland Social Care Council (NISCC)
- UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) - Full clinical individual member
- Association of Christian Counsellors (UK) - Accredited Counsellor
N.B. There is no current accreditation route for those wanting to become a specialist mentor without the professional registration listed above.
Your referee must be a member of one of the approved bodies listed above. If they are not a member of one of these bodies, but they are a member of an equivalent body, please contact us, so we can advise on suitability.