Seeking Support: Signposting Information

Immediate support

If you are feeling desperate or distressed right now:

Samaritans - open every day throughout the year.  (Freephone)116 123 (UK)116 123 (ROI) email: [email protected]

SHOUT is a 24/7 text support line, which is free on all major networks. Text Shout to 85258

Papyrus is dedicated to the prevention of young suicide in the UK. Contact HOPELineUK by phone: 0800 068 41 41, SMS: 07786 209 697, or email: [email protected] 9am – 10pm weekdays, 2pm – 10pm weekends, 2pm – 10pm bank holidays

If you need medical advice you can book an emergency GP appointment with your GP surgery. 

If you need urgent medical advice call the NHS 111 (England & Wales) or NHS 24(Scotland) - T: 08454 242424 

If you need immediate medical help or attention call 999 or visit Accident & Emergency (A&E).

Specific to your university

  • University counselling service: The University counselling services offer support on a range of issues including stress, family and/ or relationship difficulties, bereavement and homesickness. Support may be offered in a variety of settings including groups and workshops, 1-2-1 sessions and self-help resources. 
  • Mental health advisers: Mental health advisers support students who are experiencing emotional or psychological distress or personal difficulties. 
  • Disability advisers: Disability advisers work with students to agree and arrange any disability-related support and adjustments needed for their studies.
  • Student advice service: The Student advice centres offer advice and support on a range of issues including finance, accommodation, welfare and academic issues. 
  • Academic tutors and personal tutors: It’s a good idea to keep your tutors in the loop so that they are aware of your circumstances and can support you in managing your academic work. Hall wardens and senior tutors may also be able to put you in touch with services offering specialist help.

Nightline is a student run listening service - the phone number will depend on the university

National support and resources for university students

Student Minds is the UK’s student mental health charity. They work to empower students with the knowledge, confidence and skills to look after their own mental health and support others through our national network of university groups. The following web pages may be of particular interest:

Students Against Depression is an award-winning website offering information, guidance and resources for students affected by low mood and depression. 

Mind is a national charity which provides advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem. You can contact them either through their national helpline or through one of their local Mind groups. 

BEAT is an eating disorders charity providing information and support.

University Mental Health Advisers Network (UMHAN). c/o The Moseley Exchange, 149-153 Alcester Road, Moseley, Birmingham B13 8JP Tel: 07510 734544 Registered charity number: 1155038. We use cookies to improve your experience using this website.
Log in | Powered by White Fuse