Jobs advertised on our jobs board are from organisations who demonstrate their commitment to supporting Mental Health professionals within education. By encouraging and funding membership of UMHAN they recognise the need for ongoing staff supervision and appropriate CPD to provide the best mental health support to students.
Student Disability Adviser (Mental Health)
Location: Oxford Brookes University
Hours: Full Time - Fixed term for 9 months
Salary: £31,866 pa
Closing date: 22/02/21
The Disability Service needs to strengthen its capacity to support the increasing numbers of students with emerging or ongoing mental health conditions. This post has been created to support this aim and the post holder will bring established skills and experience in the field of mental health work, as their caseload will be allocated accordingly.
As Student Disability Adviser (Mental Health) you will:
- Engage prospective and current students disclosing a disability, and provide initial advice and guidance.
- Develop a working alliance with the student using a solution-focused enabling approach, encouraging self-efficacy and helping to build confidence and strategies for them to manage challenges during their time at university.
- Work closely with administrative staff to support triage and referral processes and act as a ‘duty adviser’ on a rotational basis.
- Take responsibility for a thorough analysis of needs assessment reports, medical evidence, and other specialist disability-related information, and draw up recommendations for academic reasonable adjustments, including exam arrangements and other on-course requirements in line with the Equality Act 2010 and Public Sector Equality Duty.
- Make referrals for Non-Medical Help (NMH) and other services within Wellbeing and the wider university, and externally, liaise with GPs, Health and Social Care, and community-based organisations as appropriate.
You should have:
- Degree or equivalent qualification or work experience.
- Substantial casework experience with clients with long-term mental health issues and challenges including accessing education, work or training.
- Proven skills and experience in developing individual packages of support and formulating interventions for clients with complex needs.
- Experience of managing highly sensitive and confidential information, and adhering to relevant policies and protocols.
- Experience of assessing and managing risk and liaising with NHS and others on a need to know basis.