This year London Higher is hosting its inaugural London HE Week. A week dedicated to promoting and advocating for London’s HE sector by showcasing the work of our divisions and projects, which bring together representatives from across London’s diverse HEIs. Taking place between 17-21 June 2019 across London, a week-long series of events and seminars will be hosted for all our members and stakeholders to attend.Please find the full programme of events below.
Many of these events operate on a first come first serve basis and we anticipate they will be very popular. To confirm your place at the events please visit the London Higher website here. Please note that our programme continues to grow and new events may be added in due course.
In order to celebrate the diversity of the London Higher membership, if you’d like to host an event or share your successes as part of London HE Week, please contact Amy Lightstone.
MONDAY 17 JUNE
· 10:00am onwards - Access to Higher Education and Social Mobility in London: This event will bring together stakeholders from across sectors and launch a new strategy for AccessHE going forward. Open to all.
· 6:00pm-8:00pm - NEON Seminar taking place at the House of Commons. Further information provided in due course. By invitation only.
TUESDAY 18 JUNE
· 10:00am-12:00pm - Commuter Students in London: Discussion of findings from pilot study on how travel time and other factors affect progression and measures to improve engagement by campuses with their commuter students.Open to all.
· 3:00pm-5:00pm followed by a drinks reception until 6:00pm - London Medicine “There’s Nowhere Like London”: celebrating what is unique about studying medicine & dentistry in London. This event will explore the unique opportunities available to students in London, and the ways in which London's medical and dental schools can best collaborate and work collectively to provide a world-class experience for students. Case studies from students from across London Medicine’s membership will showcase some of the varied opportunities available in the capital. Open to all.
· 6:00pm onwards - ‘Greater together’ Private Dinner. The dinner will draw together senior leaders and influencers representing not only London’s world class cluster of higher education institutions but also London’s business and public bodies which engage with our universities, their staff and students. It will enable us to share thoughts and perspectives on upcoming challenges and opportunities that face us all, and to consider how we might work together effectively in 2019 and beyond. By invitation only.
WEDNESDAY 19 JUNE
· 10:00am-12:00pm - Educating London’s Future Health Workforce: Who Should Foot the Bill? Set in the context of the recent bursary reforms, we will debate the advantages of different funding models and ask if a fresh approach would be more sustainable. Open to all.
· 4:00pm-7:00pm - Networking Event: London, A Global Hub for Enterprise.This exhibition will provide students from across London’s universities with the opportunity to network with potential mentors, investors and funders as well as fellow entrepreneurs. The aim is to provide the participants with a range of entrepreneurial support to take their idea to the next level, whilst telling London’s story as a global hub for enterprise. This event is predominantly for London students but is open for all.
THURSDAY 20 JUNE
· 10:00am-12:00pm - Mapping HE Estates: Digital maps of university estates, student housing, transport and regeneration areas. Aim to show physical relationships and place shaping opportunities for local authorities and HEIs.Open to all.
· 4:00pm-4:30pm - London Higher Annual General Meeting. By invitation only.
· 4:45pm-6:00pm - London Higher Plenary ‘Student Mental Health and Wellbeing in London‘. A panel discussion will take place, inviting colleagues from the university, regulatory, charity, health and research sectors to discuss this important and timely theme. Open to all.
· 6:00pm-8:00pm - London Higher Annual Summer Reception. An extremely popular event, we expect over 150 guests to attend from universities and HE colleges across the Capital, HE stakeholder organisations and influential individuals from within and outside of the HE sector. The reception includes drinks, canapés and live music until 8pm. Open to all.
FRIDAY 21 JUNE
· 9:00am-12:00pm – Social Media Roundup. Join London Higher colleagues on our social media platforms whilst we provide a round up and overview of the week’s events #LondonHEweek