I Chose To Disclose
18th February 2015
The next University Mental Health Day will take place on Wednesday 18th February 2015. In previous years, we have focused on promoting the five a day for mental health, the theme of voices and having your say. This year, the theme of the Day will be about choosing to disclose your mental health difficulties, whether this be to a university or to support networks.
When presenting at a recent conference, along with other professionals and students, on the topic of supporting students with mental health difficulties it became apparent that there should be more awareness and clarity around the mental health disclosure process in universities. UMHANs website analytic support this as ‘what happens when I disclose mental health’ was one of the top search terms in December 2014.
Our aim will be to improve the information given to students about the disclosure process and work with institutions to do this constructively.
To make the campaign successful, we will be:
- Collecting blogs from UMHAN members (the mental health adviser perspective), as well as staff, students and graduates with personal and constructive disclosure experiences.
- Putting together information on what happens in the disclosure process, what people should expect when disclosing a mental health difficulty and what they should not expect.
- Developing guidance on the disclosing procedure for institutions.
- Creating video content about the campaign.
- Working with the Equality Challenges Unit, including statistics from their latest research.
- Answering questions from students regarding mental health, wellbeing and disclosure via The Student Room.
We need your help to make the campaign relevant to students. If you, as a student, graduate, or staff member have had a constructive experience of disclosing mental health difficulties to your university or to support networks, let us know. You can share these experiences by writing for the UMHAN blog, joining the conversation via Twitter using #IChoseToDisclose, or joining in our live Q&A with The Student Room on 18th February 2015.