The University Mental Health Advisers Network is a national UK charity working for people in Higher Education (HE) institutions who experience mental health difficulties. We are a network of people dedicated to providing practical support to students experiencing mental health difficulties.
1) Influence policy development which relates to people with mental health difficulties across the sector and generally, developing UMHAN policy positions on relevant issues.
2) Remove the barriers to the full participation of people with mental health difficulties in Higher Education and society generally.
3) Promote the health and citizenship of people with mental health difficulties.
4) Develop the disability rights agenda to more accurately reflect the particular needs and interests of people with mental health difficulties.
5) Encourage the development of a culture in which people with mental health difficulties studying at Higher Education level becomes a mainstream notion.
6) Advocate to, and liaise with, relevant bodies to promote the rights and interests of students with mental health difficulties, and to try to ensure that proportionate weighting is given to these issues in policy terms.